Medical capacity-building is promoted at all levels of the healthcare system. That’s how the foundation wants to achieve “help for self-help”, the capacity-building that contributes towards improving the local medical situation as sustainably as possible.
Funding focuses on initial and advanced medical training – from the healthcare worker in the countryside all the way to the university-level lecturer or medical specialist at a university. In the long term the projects are supposed to be set forth by native nurses and doctors themselves. To accomplish this it is also essential to create an adequate on-site environment and incentives to prevent an exodus of qualified personnel: by improving the local medical infrastructure, by creating local networks, through cooperations with clinics, universities, business enterprises and politics. Special importance is attached to involving local partners in project planning and implementation.
The foundation’s applicants in the medical-humanitarian sector are public service healthcare facilities such as university hospitals, hospitals and charitable organisations and associations with a medical orientation that are based in Germany or other European countries.
An application containing project components in the following areas is possible at any time:
- improving in-patient and out-patient care, for example development or funding of treatment centres, introduction of new treatment methods
- development of prevention and information programmes, for example funding of regional health counselling centres or local networks of helpers and multipliers
- direct medical training and professional advancement of skilled medical staff, for example health workers, midwives, nursing-care staff, clinical officers, medical-technical professions, students, physicians
- training of multipliers, for example by establishing teaching entities, by funding specific training programmes, or by improving instruction materials
- collection and analysis of medical data targeted exclusively towards a medical-humanitarian objective
We do not provide financial support for:
- individuals from the private sector
- individual case aid
- emergency relief measures in the event of acute catastrophes
- projects without a medical emphasis
- construction projects
- projects in Germany, the EU or other countries not deemed developing countries
- commercially aligned or non-charitable projects for profit
Application submission is possible at any time. The humanitarian aspect of the project must be clearly recognisable. In justified cases, follow-up applications for the continuation of a project may be submitted. This is only possible following conclusion of the project time frame along with submission of the final report and documentation verifying the allocation of resources.
Applications shall be accepted solely via e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The application must be structured in the form of three separately saved PDF files
- A Project description,
- B Persons and institutions,
- C Appendices (e.g. certification attesting to non-profit character, official permits and authorizations, confirmations of cooperations, written references, declaration of consent GDPR).
Please be sure to note the checklist of required appendices:
- CVs and, where appropriate, the applicants' publications and the key project stakeholders
- letters of reference
- commitment of the participating partner(s) to cooperate
- certification attesting to non-profit character of the applicant organization
- proof or declaration that all project partners provide assistance regardless of religion, skin colour or nationality (e.g. statutes)
- declaration that funding for the submitted project has not been submitted to any other funding institution or enclosure of the application submitted in parallel stating the funding institution
- list of the types of funding the project currently receives
- official permits, national accreditation of training programes etc.
- as necessary, ethics committee vote
- where applicable, price quotes for the equipment applied for (for individual acquisition costs above EUR 10,000, explanations regarding selection of the equipment applied for and at least two price quotes from different manufacturers)
- declaration of consent to the storage of data
Please take note of the Information for Applicants (see downloads)
It is recommended to first-time applicants that they make contact with the foundation per telephone or e-mail for advisory consultation prior to application submission.