In order to fund an outstanding area of research at a German university hospital, the Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung is calling for proposals for the establishment of an
Else Kröner Fresenius Center for Medical Research.
For this purpose, the foundation will provide the university with funding of up to 40 million euros over a period of 10 years to establish a profile area of research that should continue work after the funding expires. The funds are to be used to improve research resources as well as to create innovative organizational structures that support medical research in university hospitals. This is to either strengthening an existing, or establishing a new interdisciplinary area of focus in international cutting-edge research.
The selection will be made via a multi-stage process which includes an international expert review. In the first instance, applicants are asked to submit an expression of interest which includes the following details:
- Name of applicant institutions
- Name of planned center
- Clinical significance of research field
- Expertise and international standing of applicant institutions in this field
- Statement explaining how funding will improve quality at institutions
- Statement explaining how funding will be utilized (e.g., for new research structures; to integrate clinician scientists; to support young researchers; to establish professorships)
- Contribution made by institutions and pre-existing infrastructure for the profile area
- Agenda for continuation of the center after funding expires
The application must be written in English (maximum 5 pages, Arial fonts 11, single-row, tables and graphics are possible). Each university or non-university research institution may submit only one application; the application should come from the university rector/president/ head of the non-university research institution, together with the medical director of the university hospital and the dean of the medical faculty of this university.
Any queries regarding the call for proposal should be sent to the chairman of the management board of the Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung, Professor Dr Michael Madeja (email@example.com). Applications should be submitted to this contact by March 31, 2023. Further information for applications can be found on our website https://www.ekfs.de/ekfz