EKFS has developed a concept for remodeling the villa together with the renowned architectural bureau Schneider & Schumacher. The concept is being supported by the municipal government of Bad Homburg and the regional authority for the preservation of historic buildings and monuments.
The history of Villa Victoria is characterized by a variety of extensions and alterations. It began in the mid-19th century with a house measuring 100 m² named Villa Victoria Kirdorf. By 1979 its area had been enlarged to 890 m². At first the villa served as a sanatorium and boarding house, in the 1920s the county of Dinslaken adapted it into a children’s home. Later on this was converted to a maternity convalescence home. During the Second World War the villa was used as a reserve military hospital, after the war as residential quarters for American and British representatives. In the 1950s the villa served as a rest & recreation home for the federation of Germans blinded in the war. The largest amount of alteration and new construction work was performed during this time. The firm Kur- und Kongress-GmbH purchased the building in the late 1990s. The home for the blind was closed in 2002 – since then the villa has stood empty.
Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung wants to remodel Villa Victoria as an administrative building for the men and women on staff. The concept for restructuring envisages that Villa Victoria consists of the oldest building structures dating back until 1903 and a modern annex half as large. The centerpiece of the house is going to be a stairwell lit via skylight glazing designed as meeting place and communication space for foundation work. As a special “gem”, the original façade from 1903 is supposed to be restored: it had been modernized in the late 1920s. Although changes had only occurred in several places, the old façade is substantially more expressive and harmonious. The foundation is reckoning with a building phase of at least two years.
You can find more information in the press release from June 29, 2021.